[Spambayes] IMAP Filter

Oliver Maunder lists at olivermaunder.co.uk
Mon Apr 7 17:44:58 EDT 2003

Skip Montanaro wrote:

>What does "purge" or "expunge" mean in this case?

As far as I can see, IMAP doesn't have a facility to "move" messages
between folders. You have to recreate the message in a new folder, then
mark the original message as deleted. The original doesn't actually get
deleted until the folder is purged. Whether you still see the message in
the folder depends on your mail client.

>Someone will eventually set it to True then complain that
>spambayes deletes valid messages.

Spambayes wouldn't be deleting stuff in that sense - there will still be
a copy in the "spam" folder. But if the original message isn't purged,
then there will be 2 copies of the spam taking up space on the system.

I learned all this the hard way a couple of weeks ago when my account
was over quota, even after I thought I'd deleted several weeks worth of
mail. It was still there - just hiding :-)

Olly