[Spambayes] IMAP Filter

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Tue Apr 8 10:45:01 EDT 2003

> Just looking at imapfilter.py as it is - appending the
> trained messages to the mailbox will mess up the original
> delivery date on most mailboxes,

Well, according to the RFC, if I append and specify a date, then it
should use that date.  It will be stuffed up at the moment, but I hope
that if I extract the original date from the message (which shouldn't be
difficult) and append with that date, things should be ok.  A nice
theory, anyway :)

> and may also make a seen but
> unrated message unseen again.

Heh.  Now we can be just like Outlook ;)  Seriously, I suspect Outlook
will have to take the same path here and note the unread status of the
message before doing anything to it, and setting it to that status once
it's done.  (I'll add this to the IMAP filter soonish).

> The code also doesn't seem like
> it's checking for UIDVALIDITY responses.

Not at the moment.  All the messages are tracked by UID, but folders
aren't at the moment.  It would be much nicer to have UIDs for these
(from the UIDVALIDITY response), except that there's still the problem
of identifying them the first time.  (Unless I create some sort of GUI
like the pop3proxy web ui).

> The comment:
>         # we can't actually update the message with IMAP
>         # XXX (someone tell me if this is wrong!)
>
> is correct. This is why you might want to consider using
> flags instead of re-writing the message.

See previous message re: flags.  One advantage of re-writing is that we
get to add the spambayes headers.  It would be nicer to be able to
move/update messages, but never mind.

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.