[Spambayes] Re: SpamBayes Outlook Plug-In

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Mon Apr 7 23:25:49 EDT 2003

"Moore, Paul" <Paul.Moore at atosorigin.com> writes:

> As far as I know, no-one has been able to track down the problem to
> fix it yet.

I have, however, implemented a local workaround that's working really
well for me.  This was based on my prior messages in:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/spambayes/2003-March/004086.html
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/spambayes/2003-March/004088.html

Since I can't quantify what if any penalty it imposes in the general
case by syncing changes back to the server an additional time, and
since the problem may be limited to Exchange servers, I haven't
proposed it be made to the main source yet - although I certainly
haven't noticed much of a penalty in my local testing.

But if anyone else wants to try a local change, it's fairly trivial,
adding an additional call to msg.Save() in filter.py:

    *** filter.py   18 Mar 2003 03:09:03 -0000      1.20
    --- filter.py   7 Apr 2003 22:18:58 -0000
    ***************
    *** 27,39 ****
          try:
              # Save the score
              msg.SetField(mgr.config.field_score_name, prob)
              # and the ID of the folder we were in when scored.
              # (but only if we want to perform all actions)
              # Note we must do this, and the Save, before the
              # filter, else the save will fail.
              if all_actions:
                  msg.RememberMessageCurrentFolder()
    !         msg.Save()

              if all_actions and attr_prefix is not None:
                  folder_id = getattr(config, attr_prefix + "_folder_id")
    --- 26,39 ----
          try:
              # Save the score
              msg.SetField(mgr.config.field_score_name, prob)
    +         msg.Save()
              # and the ID of the folder we were in when scored.
              # (but only if we want to perform all actions)
              # Note we must do this, and the Save, before the
              # filter, else the save will fail.
              if all_actions:
                  msg.RememberMessageCurrentFolder()
    !             msg.Save()

              if all_actions and attr_prefix is not None:
                  folder_id = getattr(config, attr_prefix + "_folder_id")

After making this change, what went from virtually _every_ message
staying unread, became the extreme rare case, such that I'm no longer
certain any remaining case may even be spambayes related.

--
-- David