Removing pickle support from Outlook? (was RE: [Spambayes] Lostdatabase)

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Mon Apr 7 23:44:09 EDT 2003

[Mark Hammond]
> I've added a bug for the fact that the addin doesn't save the
> database after a train operation.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=717253&gr
> oup_id=61702&atid=498103
>
> For the spambayes crowd: Doing this for a "pickle" database would be
> prohibitive.

Not for my pickle databases:  they're under 2MB, and I rarely train on
anything anymore.

> Now that there is a bsddb3 that works for Windows, how would people feel
> about me dropping all pickle support from the plugin?  This will
> require you to install bsddb3 (or Python 2.3) and do a full re-train.  As
> have mentioned before, I would also be happy to accept patches that do an
> automatic migration ;)
>
> Any objections?

Me!  I'd like to hold off on that until Python 2.3 final is released, as I
don't want to encourage people to install an alpha Python (which 2.3 still
is; only Python (not spambayes) alpha testers should be using anything later
than Python 2.2.2).