[Spambayes] imapfilter mangling headers!

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Thu Apr 17 10:49:24 EDT 2003

Tim Stone - Four Stones Expressions <tim at fourstonesExpressions.com> writes:

> 4/17/2003 8:16:21 AM, David Abrahams <dave at boost-consulting.com> wrote:
>

>>So I just got started with spambayes and tried to train my system
>>using imapfilter.py.  The first problem was that I had to discover on
>>my own that I needed to edit spambayes/Options.py in order to keep
>>imapfilter.py from raising exceptions.
>
> Keeping in mind that this is still classified as alpha level
> software... We are currently writing the documentation so you don't
> have to discover this stuff for yourself, and the configuration prog
> so you can do this through your browser.  It will modify a file
> named bayescustomize.ini, which is where your Options.py
> modifications should go.

That's nifty!  Unfortunately, I am not the system administrator on
the system where this will run, so installing things that can
integrate with a webserver may not be an option for me.

>>Then, once I'd done that, I was able to get it to do this:
>>
>>    %src/spambayes/imapfilter.py -t -c -v -D bayes.db
>>    bayes.db is a new database
>>    Done.
>>    Training
>>    Training took 10.5770339966 seconds, 0 messages were trained
>>    Classifying
>>
>>Now, should I be concerned that "0 messages were trained"?
>
> Not if you didn't have anything in your training folders.

Oh, but I did!  Around 200 messages in each one!

>>Should I be concerned that -v didn't produce much verbose output?
>
> No
>
>>Since I didn't get any, I decided to poke around and see what was
>>happening.  I went to the "unsure" mailbox (known as UnsureBox) in
>>Gnus, and found that none of the messages showed up with senders or
>>subjects.  Taking a look at the raw messages, I found the following:
>
> There's nothing here...

Sorry, maybe the enclosure was dropped.  It begins:

---
Return-Path: <frankokere at rediffmail.com>Received: from mx02.mrf.mail.rcn.net ([207.172.4.51] verified)	by stlport.com (CommuniGate Pro SMTP 3.5.9)	with ESMTP id 201556 for dave at boost-consulting.com;	Fri, 21 Feb 2003 17:50:31 -0800Received: from node-c-0bfb.a2000.nl ([62.194.11.251] helo=mx.mail.rcn.net)	by mx02.mrf.mail.rcn.net with smtp (Exim 3.35 #4)	id 18mOoA-0001sg-00	for david.abrahams at rcn.com; Fri, 21 Feb 2003 20:50:30 -0500From: "FRANK OKERE" <frankokere at rediffmail.com>Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 02:50:10To: david.abrahams at rcn.comSubject: STRICLTY CONFIDENTIALMIME-Version: 1.0Content-Type: text/plain;charset="iso-8859-1"Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bitMessage-Id: <E18mOoA-0001sg-00 at mx02.mrf.mail.rcn.net>X-Spam-Warning: This message was accepted from a host or IP address which	is listed on one or more email blocking lists.  Please see	http://www.mail.rcn.net/external/x-header/ for more informationX-Spam-Warning: [SPEWS] [1] a2000.nl, see http://spews.org/ask.cgi?S2000X-Spambayes-Classification: unsureGood Day,

With warm heart I offer my friendship, and my greetings, and I hope this letter meets you in good time. It will be surprising to you to receive this proposal from me since you do not know me personally. However, I am sincerely seeking your confidence in this transaction, which I propose with my free mind and as a person of integrity.
---

That's 3 lines; the middle one is blank.

>>Needless to say, I interrupted the classification process!  What
>>should I do now?  At least 1000 messages have been processed this
>>way.  Are they hopelessly mangled?
>
> We have not seen header dropping in our testing, which is in the very early
> stages.

They're not dropped; they have apparently had all the newlines
removed!

> Since you interrupted the classification, the original messages
> should still be in your inbox, though they may have their delete
> flag set.
>
> What imap server are you using?

Communigate Pro

> At any rate, you should probably refrain from using the filter on
> your production mailbox until we figure out what happened when it
> looked at your system.  To quote a post from a few days ago: "IMAP
> seems to be a really flukey kind of interface, and until it's been
> used on lots of imap servers, by lots of people, I won't be
> convinced that it's really correct."

Thanks for your help,
Dave

--