[Spambayes] Re: [Spambayes-checkins] spambayes/spambayes message.py, 1.12, 1.13

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Mon Apr 21 16:34:25 EDT 2003

[message.py]
>  return re.sub(r'(?:\r\n|\n|\r(?!\n))', "\r\n", data)

[Skip]
> I don't think the negative lookahead assertion is necessary.
> By default, regular expressions are greedy (match the largest
> possible string), so
>
>     return re.sub(r"\r\n|\n|\r", "\r\n", data)
>
> should work.  Any time \r\n appears, it will be preferred
> over either \r or \n, so if the \r branch matches, that
> implies it wasn't followed by \n.  If I've been laboring
> under a misconception for all these years, I'd be happy to be
> corrected.

I'm not sure if I commented this anywhere, but I lifted the regex
straight from smtplib, since it's doing the same thing as we want to do.
Yours sounds good (to me, who is a regex-beginner), so if it is right, I
guess I should submit a patch for smtplib as well :)

[TimS]
> Yours should work better than what's there right
> now, and I'm thinking about this one as well: '\r\n?|\n'

Again, this looks like it would work to me; surely it can't be this
simple, though, can it? ;)

[TimS]
> (and the issue of why it's there in the first place).

Well, this is because the imapfilter doesn't do this for us, as it
should.  I suppose we should move this into the IMAPMessage class, since
messages over SMTP will be ok.  Hopefully a later version of the imaplib
will fix this, but while we need to be compatible with Python 2.2, we'll
have to have it in there.