[Spambayes] Outlook Plug-in won't stay checked in Com_add-ins

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Tue Apr 22 16:13:32 EDT 2003

> [Dan Mara]
> > Python must not be required, as SpamBayes is running
> > great on a Winnt 4.0 and XP boxes with no Python...

[Tim Peters]
> Trust us:  spambayes is coded entirely in Python, both the
> classification engine and the Outlook plugin.  I personally
> guarantee no part of spambayes can even start if Python isn't
> installed.  OTOH, maybe Microsoft is shipping new versions of
> Outlook with spambayes pre-installed <wink>.

Just to clear this up :)  Python doesn't need to be installed
*separately* to run the Outlook plugin via Mark's binary.  The binary
packages together whatever Python libraries (etc) it needs to run so
that it can be installed and used without the user having to install
Python itself.

So you don't have to install Python, but (some of) Python is on the box
for it to run :)

Of course, those not using the Outlook plugin binary do need to have a
'proper' Python install.