[Spambayes] Re: YAIP (Yet Another IMAP Problem)

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Thu Apr 24 21:27:58 EDT 2003

> I wonder if some kind of IMAP autoconf is possible; if so we
> could find out the protocol by probing...

The IMAP protocol does have a CAPABILITIES command, which does some of
this.  If our filter will work with anything that is RFC compliant, then
we should avoid most of the problems.

Note that I've changed the ways things work in the imap filter in a
number of places in the latest check in.  I finally gave in and read the
RFC right through and came up with a number of improvements.

In particular:
  *  Getting hold of the uids in a folder is now done with
     SEARCH rather than a complicated FETCH.
  *  Moving the flags to the copied message is done via the
     APPEND, rather than as a separate STORE.
  *  All processing of FETCH responses is done via the
     _extract_fetch_data function found at the top of the
     module.  This only handles RFC822, UID, FLAGS and
     INTERNALDATE at the moment, but those are the only
     ones we fetch.  Unless I've made a typo, the regexs
     are also correct according to the RFC.
  *  I doubt anyone is using it, but if expunge is set to
     true, then this is now done with a combination of
     CLOSE and EXPUNGE commands, which should be much faster.
  *  I've stopped using EXAMINE and only use SELECT to select
     a folder.  This should also speed things up.

By the way, I don't know if anyone has noticed, but the filter doesn't
currently remember whether a message was trained/classified between
sessions.  I know what the problem is here and I've dumped it with Tim
<wink>, who will, no doubt, fix it when he gets a chance.