[Spambayes] Storage

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Wed Aug 6 18:10:45 EDT 2003

[io219 at comcast.net]
> Would it be worth writing an alternate storage module for SpamBayes to
> save data in an MSSQL database (or whatever) for
> reliability/stability?
>
> Could this be done without losing synchronization with official
> SpamBayes? Could official SpamBayes allow this functionality via
> pluggable storage?

The spambayes code supports many back-end storage schemes, from a single
pickle of a giant Python dictionary, to BTree-based mappings stored in ZODB
and accessed via ZEO (the latter is hiding in the pspam subdirectory).

Adding another one shouldn't be hard, provided you've done it before <wink>.

However, there's already support for Berkeley's bsddb, and there's no reason
to suspect that it's lacking.  Tracebacks in your other msgs showed you were
picking up dumbdbm, which is thoroughly unsuitable for this project, and
which suffered a deadly shutdown-race bug leading to database corruption
before Python 2.3.  Install a modern Berkeley and I expect you'll lose the
itch to muck with adding more database options.