[Spambayes] SpamBayes future platforms

Coe, Bob rcoe at CambridgeMA.GOV
Thu Aug 7 13:20:42 EDT 2003

Be careful what you ask for; you may get it. Despite the justifiably acclaimed efficacy of the current (client-centered) Spambayes implementation, it evidently still has a few bugs and anomalies to be worked out. These aren't hard to deal with at the client-machine level, but might be much more troublesome on a server. I'd vote for deferring any server-based filtering until the current product matures for a while.

Another thing: Bayesian filtering is inherently slooooow. Most modern PCs have more than enough power to absorb this increased computational load, since processing email isn't, by itself, a very CPU-intensive operation. But if you threw that load onto your Exchange Server, you might suddenly find yourself short of CPU power or memory, or both.

Bob