[Spambayes] We have a great catcher, now we need a good relief pitcher!

Richie Hindle richie at entrian.com
Sat Aug 9 22:24:51 EDT 2003

[pv]
> Have you given any thought to developing/implementing an effective
> 'bounce-spam' feature to discourage some spammers?

[Tim]
> bounces will end up [...] in an innocent victim's mailbox.

Tell me about it - I'm getting about fifteen hundred of these per day at
the moment, and have been for several months.  (It's not because of my
involvement with Spambayes, 'cos they're going to an old address.)

I'm not using Spambayes to filter them, partly because they're easy to
filter without it, partly because I don't want to encourage Spambayes to
treat genuine bounces as spam (pure paranoia - I have no evidence that it
would) and partly because I do look at any that aren't obviously
machine-generated, just in case they're from someone threatening legal
action or something.

The sooner the entire world adopts Spambayes and makes spam a thing of the
past, the better.

--
Richie Hindle
richie at entrian.com