[Spambayes] SpamBayes : contribution

Romain GUY romain.guy at jext.org
Mon Aug 11 13:32:52 EDT 2003

	Hello,

	I've installed SpamBayes today and I must admit I really do like it. As a user of Pocomail and Mozila Mail, which are both based on mbox files, I have no problem using it. Yet, I came to think to Outlook Express users. You should provide them a way to easily train SpamBayes with their existing mailboxes.

	I wrote a few months ago a small command line utility which allows the user to convert an Outlook Express mailbox DBX file to a Unix mbox one. In fact, this utility is based on the oe.mailbox module I wrote (this is in fact a port of a similar C++ lib).
	So here are my suggestions :
- you could ship oe2mbox.py script along with SpamBayes (even compiled as an exe)
- you could use my oe.mailbox lib to make SpamBayes be able to handle *.dbx files.

	My lib works on streams (the read()  and seek() methods must be supported) rather than on files so it could easily be integrated into the files based training system of SpamBayes.

	This lib is currently under GNU GPL but, as I did not distribute it yet, I can change the license to PSF if you wish.

	I have attached a zip file containing the oe2mbox script and the oe.mailbox lib. You may look at the oe2mbox.py file which is really simple indeed.

	I hope you'll be interested in my idea :-)

--
Romain GUY
romain.guy at jext.org
http://www.jext.org