[Spambayes] Installing SpamBayes (pop3proxy) on Mandrake 9.1

Dustin Sell dustin at dustinsell.com
Mon Aug 11 05:58:21 EDT 2003

Hello,

I am attempting to install SpamBayes' pop3proxy on a Mandrake 9.1 system and
recieve the below error.  I have tried to manually open the url, but get the
standard, "cannot connect to localhost on port 8880".

Do you have an idea as to why this is happening?  I have Python 2.2.2
installed (the default Mandrake 9.1 installation).

Thanks for your time,
Dustin

---- <snip> ----
[dustin at dhcppc4 spambayes-1.0a4]$ python pop3proxy.py -b
SpamBayes POP3 Proxy Beta1, version 0.1 (May 2003),
using SpamBayes POP3 Proxy Web Interface Alpha2, version 0.02
and engine SpamBayes Beta2, version 0.2 (July 2003).

User interface url is http://localhost:8880/
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "pop3proxy.py", line 777, in ?
    run()
  File "pop3proxy.py", line 771, in run
    main(state.servers, state.proxyPorts, state.uiPort, state.launchUI)
  File "pop3proxy.py", line 710, in main
    Dibbler.run(launchBrowser=launchUI)
  File "spambayes/Dibbler.py", line 527, in run
    webbrowser.open_new("http://localhost:%d/" % context._HTTPPort)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/webbrowser.py", line 46, in open_new
    get().open(url, 1)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/webbrowser.py", line 38, in get
    raise Error("could not locate runnable browser")
webbrowser.Error: could not locate runnable browser

PS: After I receive the error, I am unable to manually open
http://localhost:8880/ using a web client.  Getting the standard "error":

An error occured while loading http://localhost:8880/:
Could not connect to host localhost (port 8880)