[Spambayes] Re: Have you guys considered...

Derrick 'dman' Hudson dman at dman13.dyndns.org
Mon Aug 11 17:01:33 EDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 03:26:58PM -0500, Skip Montanaro wrote:
| On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 02:52:26PM -0400, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
| | On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 11:12:31AM -0700, Reale, Tom wrote:
| | | You have built a product that could autofile e-mail into all kinds
| | | of private categories for the user.
|
| | This is a separate issue entirely.  Spambayes is designed to
| | identify spam, but it doesn't do anything with it.  Sorting mail
| | into separate folders is best done with the proper LDA, such as
| | procmail, maildrop, sieve, or (depending on your mail reader)
| | filter rules in the mail reader itself.  I'd rather see spambayes'
| | kept as simple as possible by focusing on a single problem/task.

| It's really the same problem, just an n-way classification instead of a
| 2-way classification.  I use procmail to sort my mail into folders.  My
| procmailrc file looks like this:

I am not opposed to a delivery agent incorporating spambayes (or other
classifiers) in-process, but I think the spambayes project (and code)
should focus only on identifying spam and not on replacing procmail.

| While not nearly as annoying as spam, it's still a mild bother that if
| someone bcc's a message to the foo list, procmail will file it in my mbox
| instead of my foo mailbox.

Testing the List-* headers solves this problem.

| Tools like ifile and CRM114 can classify mail into N bins instead of just
| two.

I'm not familiar with these tools.

-D

--
Dishonest money dwindles away,
but he who gathers money little by little makes it grow.

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/