[Spambayes] Deleted Email Can't Be Tagged

Coe, Bob rcoe at CambridgeMA.GOV
Tue Aug 12 09:24:23 EDT 2003

Since I know nothing of the internals of Spambayes, I have no way of guessing what havoc that would wreak. But your response suggests that there may be more complicated side effects going on at the folder level (as opposed to the individual message level) than I had supposed. Which motivates me to check on an assumption under which I had been operating, i.e. that deleting messages from either the "Definite" folder or the "Ambiguous" folder has no training effect. Is that in fact the case? I also assume that there's no training effect if I move a message out of the "Ambiguous" folder without specifying that it is or isn't spam. Am I right about that?

A related question: If I move a message from the "Definite" folder to a folder other than the one in which Spambayes found it, does that have a training effect? More specifically, if I want to add to my library of spam (which I use to start up new Spambayes users), can I safely do it by moving messages from the "Definite" folder to my "Sample spam" folder? Or do I have to copy the messages and then delete them from the "Definite" folder?

Bob