Thanks you (was: Re: [Spambayes] How do I...)

David McNab david at rebirthing.co.nz
Mon Aug 18 09:38:23 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 19:35, Richie Hindle wrote:
> [David]
> > How do I run hammie.py or hammiefilter.py so that the filtered
> > messages get written to the store, able to be later displayed and
> > trained on the web interface?
>
> [Skip]
> > I'm not sure anyone's tried that (or even considered it) before.
>
> Either you have a short memory or I've seriously misunderstood what your
> proxytee.py script is for.  8-)

OK - please forgive the repetition in my questions.
(I think some of my messages may have arrived out of sync.)

Anyway, mtaproxy is now humming along fine.

(Maybe it needs a more colourful name like 'SpamQueda') :)

And, to boot, it now does optional RBL checks at HELO time, going
straight into spammer punishment mode if the remote MTA is blacklisted.
If RBL check passes, it tests content with hammiefilter, and goes into
punishment mode if hammiefilter rules the content to be spam.

As advised, I'm feeding messages into hammiefilter.py, then passing the
filtered message with X-Spambayes-Classification intact, along to
proxytee (without the probability arg).

Result is that mtaproxy now punishes spammers (as determined by RBL
check, then by content analysis), and makes the messages available for
training in the web interface.

Thanks to all for patiently answering all my n00b questions.

A last question - would anyone be open to the possibility of mtaproxy
being included in the official spambayes distribution (or at least
linked from the SpamBayes website)?

(website again - http://www.freenet.org.nz/python/mtaproxy)

--
Cheers