[Spambayes] Lots of "returned mail bouncing around"

Lawrence J. McAuliffe lmcaulif at scsiweb.com
Tue Aug 19 14:58:13 EDT 2003

Hello,

I've gotten numerous copies of the following "returned mail
notification" today; a fair amount of it seemingly addressed TO:
spambayes at python.org and FROM:
"spambayes-bounces+lmcaulif=scsiweb.com at python.org; on behalf of;
Mail Delivery Subsystem [MAILER-DAEMON at aol.com]"

I have to assume it's someone, somewhere, that's got a virus but
I've no idea what - if anything - I can do to help break the
cycle.  Do you guys have any ideas?  I don't think I'm directly
involved since Symantec has caught anything, either during its
normal email scan OR on a full virus scan.  Suggestions would be
greatly appreciated.  Here's the text of the message - without
the attachment(s):

  The original message was received at Tue, 19 Aug 2003
13:33:24 -0400 (EDT)
  from fw-33.40.chattanoogastate.edu [198.146.33.40]

  *** ATTENTION ***
  Your e-mail is being returned to you because there was a
problem with its
  delivery. The address which was undeliverable is listed in the
section
  labeled: "----- The following addresses had permanent fatal
errors -----".

  The reason your mail is being returned to you is listed in the
section
  labeled: "----- Transcript of Session Follows -----".

  The line beginning with "<<<" describes the specific reason
your e-mail could
  not be delivered. The next line contains a second error message
which is a
  general translation for other e-mail servers.

  Please direct further questions regarding this message to your
e-mail
  administrator.

  --AOL Postmaster

  <pennyc26 at aol.com>
  ... while talking to air-xg01.mail.aol.com.:
  >>> DATA
  <<< 554 TRANSACTION FAILED - Unrepairable Virus Detected. Your
mail has not been sent.
  554 <pennyc26 at aol.com>... Service unavailable

Thanks,

Lawrence J. McAuliffe (Larry)