[Spambayes] Outlook Plug-in - Queries re SB filtering vs. OutlookFilters and high spam scores greater than thresholds notbeing sent to spam folder

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Tue Aug 26 20:25:45 EDT 2003

> 1.) Why do E-mails with very high Spam scores, (greater than
> my assigned threshold) not get moved to my assigned-spam folder.

Does this happen with all mail that scores this high, or just sometimes?
Does it display the spam score and not filter, or fail to score and
filter?

> 2.) What is the interaction between SpamBayes
> filtering/actions and those of Outlook's own filters/actions.

Unfortunately this is undefined.  Spambayes kicks in as soon as Outlook
tells it that a message has arrived.  When Outlook decides to do this
depends on a whole heap of things, including how busy the machine
currently is.  You should probably take a look at the timer options in
the configuration page (from the about page that you can get to via the
main dialog), which solve some of these problems (they make spambayes
kick in after all the rules).  Although they're experimental in the 007
release, they've made it into the mainstream for the next release (due
reasonably soon).

> 3.) I had thought that SpamBayes filtering/actions might be
> integrated into the Rules Wizard where it's action could be
> integrated by the user into an overall filtering scheme, but
> this is not the case.

If this could be done, it would make Mark's life much easier as well as
making using spambayes easier.  Unfortunately Outlook doesn't expose the
right stuff to make this possible.  This is really in Microsoft's court,
although some people have discussed building an entirely new Outlook
filtering system that spambayes could slot into.