[Spambayes] SpamBayes as a gatway solution

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Thu Aug 28 12:41:39 EDT 2003

>  What about a modified SpamBayes, where each incoming email
> address has/creates  its own database?  That way, each user
> would still have their own  individualized database, but they
> would all use the same codebase.

What are you saving here, though?  You're just moving the expense of the
storage and processing to the server; clients tend to have this in
abundance, servers have little to spare.  The only advantages that I see
are that you save the cost of transferring mail between the server and
the client, and clients don't have to install extra software.

Re: the latter - if the clients have to learn a whole new
interface/system to train the thing, is it that much of a big deal to
get them to install something first?

Re: the former - how expensive this is depends on the exact setup.
You'd have to weigh up whether this is worth it giving the other costs.

That said, I believe that Death2Spam (see the related page) does
something along these lines (not using SpamBayes, but similar).