[Spambayes] Help...we are using Outlook Express

Peter Beckman beckman at purplecow.com
Thu Aug 28 00:25:41 EDT 2003

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Ryan Malayter wrote:

> *If you're unwilling to do the above, unable to afford it, or unable
> figure it out, then your organization doesn't have the resources (people
> or money) necessary to run Windows in a business environment. If that's
> the case, I suggest you gain expertise in Linux or another free OS, and
> learn to live with its quirks, or turn off your computers and use
> pencils and paper.

 Ryan -- the same thing will happen with Linux, FreeBSD or other non
 Windows variant.  Linux, while free, is not easier to administer, nor is
 it easier to lock down.  While you CAN lock it down, given that it has a
 built in firewall, an easy interface to see what is listening to what
 ports, etc., that does not make it easy to lock down.  It doesn't mean
 there aren't worms/viruses (open relays and proxies, rootkits, etc).  It
 doesn't mean they won't have problems -- just different ones.

 I agree with you on all counts -- get a firewall, get anti-virus software,
 and get someone (consultant, anyone) who has a clue about networks and
 systems admin and hire them on a contract-as-needed basis.  But turning to
 another OS will only bring them problems, albeit different ones, with a
 whole lot less people in the world to help them.

Beckman