[Spambayes] viewing the contents of the spambayes DB

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Thu Aug 28 16:47:54 EDT 2003

> what database technology does spambayes use?

It depends.  You can use a Python pickle, one of various dbms (bsddb,
gdbm), mySQL or postgreSQL (the two SQLs aren't in 1.0a4, and only
lightly tested).  I think that the tools in the pspam directory play
about with using ZODB, and this might be something that happens in the
future.  If you're using a binary of the Outlook plugin, then you're
using bsddb.  If you're using the Outlook plugin from source, you're
almost certainly using bsddb or a pickle.

> What tools can I
> use to look at the spambayes database (specifically, one
> generated by an outlook plug-in)?

Take a look at the dbExpImp.py script in the main directory of the
source releases.  You can use this to convert the database to a '`'
separated text file, which you can then look at in anything you like.
The command will look like "dbExpImp.py -e -D default_bayes_database.db
-f default_bayes_database.txt".