[Spambayes] smtpproxy 500 error at end of smtp conversation

Cameron Stone camerons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sat Aug 30 18:09:55 EDT 2003

I've installed spambayes-1.0a4 and I'm liking it a lot.

However, in using the smtp proxy, I'm getting a 500 Unrecognized command error
coming just after the data is finished sending. I'm pretty sure it's being
generated by the my smtp server, and the proxy is just echoing it through.
However, it must be a response to something strange the proxy is sending at the
end of the data, but my knowledge of python and the Dibbler library is not good
enough to find the error myself.

I've tested this using telnet, and the same smtp conversation works directly,
but gets the error when sent to the proxy. The mail gets sent correctly both
times, but my mail reader doesn't close the compose window on sending because of
the error. I like using the smtp proxy to train the filter, so I'd rather not
get rid of it. Any ideas?

Here's the direct connection:
$ telnet smtp 25
220 smtp smtp ready