[Spambayes] Re: SMTP Errors using Eudora

Ed Rubinsky edrubins at andisplace.com
Sun Aug 31 19:59:10 EDT 2003

At 08:27 PM 8/30/2003 +1200, Meyer, Tony wrote:
> >> As soon as I can get 1.12 from CVS I'll rerun the test.
>
> > That would be great.
>
> > Note that this issue is now being tracked (someone else reported it)
> > here:
> > <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=498103&aid=797316&gro
>up_id=61702>

Finally got 1.12 - same result (500 error from server.)

> > The person that submitted the bug says that removing the '\r\n' that is
> > added to "cooked" (right above where I got you to add the debugging
> > statements) works for him.  If I do this, though, the proxy doesn't
> > proxy anything - it hangs on the first command.  This is what I would
> > expect, too, because the RFC says that each command must be terminated
> > with CRLF (else how would it know it was done?).  Would you be able to
> > try that fix and let me know if it works for you?

         I get the same (expected) results - smtpproxy hangs on the EHLO
cammand.

I feel pretty strongly that the 500 response is coming from Norton. I see
the response before Norton pops up with the scanning email window. I can't
believe they would forward the email to the server before it's scanned, and
it makes sense that they wouldn't start scanning a single email until the
QUIT command was processed. I'm going to try digging into asynchat/asyncore
and try a find a place to dump the port 25 traffic.

Best, Ed