[Spambayes] IMAP or Netscape Quirk

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Tue Dec 2 22:33:32 EST 2003

[Jacob Farmer]
> I occasionally see this myself, and the nearest thing I can
> figure, is that I happened to look at the Inbox while
> Spambayes was training or classifying.  It appears to
> download each message, delete it, then put it back where it
> belongs.  Perhaps your IMAP server just takes a few seconds
> to register the delete flag or else you mail client doen't
> indicate when it is set.

I suspect that this is the case.  The imapfilter does, indeed, create new
copies of messages, and remove the old ones (well, it marks them for
removal, anyway).  The main problem is that IMAP doesn't have any facility
to move a message from one folder to another (only to delete the message and
add it to the new location).

I'm afraid I can't really see any way around this; some of the duplication
might be removed in the future (those that result from storing an id with
the message), but those from moving messages to new folders seem unavoidable
(if you look closely, even the mail clients do this).