[Spambayes] Connecting to localhost

Kenny Pitt kennypitt at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 4 17:42:02 EST 2003

Jerome Lyles wrote:
> I have one pop3 account (out of four) that I want to use with
> spambayes. When I try to retrieve mail I get the error message
> 'cannot connect to local host'.  All four pop3 accounts are listening
> on port 110.  Is this the problem?

It's fine for all of the POP3 servers to be using port 110 as long as
each one is on a different remote server.  You need to provide a
different port number for SpamBayes to use for each remote server that
you set up.  I see from your config file that you have only one
configured, so that shouldn't be an issue.

> ... I changed the pop3 account that's
> using spambayes to port 1110, to test, same problem.

When you say you changed "the pop3 account" to port 1110, what
configuration did you actually change?  There are 3 possible port
settings: the port that SpamBayes listens on to proxy to your POP3
server, the port that you tell SpamBayes to connect to in order to reach
your POP3 server, and the port that the POP3 server is actually
listening on.

> Also when I try to save my configuration or restore defaults at
> http:// localhost:8880/config I get this error message:
>
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/asyncore.py", line 300, in bind
>     return self.socket.bind(addr)
>
>   File "<string>", line 1, in bind
>
> error: (98, 'Address already in use')
>
> Here is my bayescustomize.ini:
> [Storage]
> persistent_storage_file:~/.hammiedb
> [pop3proxy]
> listen_ports:110
> remote_servers:mail.aloha.net
> [smtpproxy]
> listen_ports:25
> remote_servers:smtp-server.hawaii.rr.com
> [html_ui]
> allow_remote_connections:localhost
>
> What do I do to correct the 'not connecting to localhost' problem for
> my pop3 server?
> What does error: (98, 'Address already in use') mean?  Which address
> is already in use??

The "Address" represents the combination of both the IP address (or
hostname) and port number.  Each port on a given computer can only be
doing one thing at a time.  SpamBayes can't listen on port 110 if
something else is already using it.  You said you are running Linux, so
is there any chance that you are running a POP3 server on the same box
that you are running SpamBayes?

--
Kenny Pitt