[Spambayes] Connecting to localhost

Jerome Lyles lylesj002 at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Dec 4 19:41:13 EST 2003

---------------
---------------

> > ... I changed the pop3 account that's
> > using spambayes to port 1110, to test, same problem.
>
> When you say you changed "the pop3 account" to port 1110, what
> configuration did you actually change?  There are 3 possible port
> settings: the port that SpamBayes listens on to proxy to your POP3
> server, the port that you tell SpamBayes to connect to in order to reach
> your POP3 server, and the port that the POP3 server is actually
> listening on.

I changed the POP3 port configuration in bayescustomize.ini.
What is the difference between the port that I tell SpamBayes to connect to in
order to reach my POP3 server and the port that SpamBayes listens on to proxy
to (should this preceeding 'to' be for?) my POP3 server??  Is the 'proxy to
my POP3 server' port what SpamBayes uses to pass mail to my pop3 client
(Kmail)?  Does 'proxy to (for?) my POP3 server' mean 'proxy to my mail
client'?  I know it probably doesn't but; if it doesn't, then that means (to
me) SpamBayes uses one port to reach my POP3 server and another port to proxy
the same POP3 server.  If the  'proxy to my POP3 server' port is not the SMTP
port then who does it pass the email to?

----------------------------
----------------------------

> > What do I do to correct the 'not connecting to localhost' problem for
> > my pop3 server?
> > What does error: (98, 'Address already in use') mean?  Which address
> > is already in use??
>
> The "Address" represents the combination of both the IP address (or
> hostname) and port number.  Each port on a given computer can only be
> doing one thing at a time.  SpamBayes can't listen on port 110 if
> something else is already using it.  You said you are running Linux, so
> is there any chance that you are running a POP3 server on the same box
> that you are running SpamBayes?

No, I'm not running a POP3 server.