[Spambayes] Connecting to localhost

Richie Hindle richie at entrian.com
Fri Dec 5 08:45:24 EST 2003

Jerome,

> I would like to understand why my original smtp settings worked.  In Kmail
> my smtp option was set to localhost and port 25.  In the spambayes proxy smtp
> config options I used port 25 and the name of my smtp server.  I could send
> email out to the internet.

That is odd, because as non-root you shouldn't have been able to listen on
port 25.

> I don't think I'm running spambayes as root but how can I be sure?  Is there a
> way to check?

ps -ef will give you all your processes and their owners.

> Is there a way to tell what processes are running on a given port?

That I don't know.  netstat -a will tell you which ports are in use, and
which of them are listening, but I don't know how you tie that back to
processes.

> The fact that I could use smtp services on port 25 implies I'm running
> spambayes in root.  It also implies nothing else was using this port since I
> experienced no problems.?  That implies the busy port was 110.  Can you help
> me understand this?

The traceback indicated that it was smtpproxy that was the cause of the
exception:

  File "[...]sb_smtpproxy.py", line 253, in __init__
  [...]
    self.bind(port)

It's the "bind" call that tells the system that you want to listen on a
particular port, and that is what was giving you the 'Address already in
use' error.  So I don't understand it, no.  Is it possible that KMail was
actually talking directly to your ISP's SMTP server without you realising
it?  Did you forward any emails for training, and did that work?

--
Richie Hindle
richie at entrian.com