[Spambayes] Hotmail Confusion

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Fri Dec 5 15:16:04 EST 2003

[Jacob Farmer]
> IIRC, you can just add an account and one of the account
> types HTTP/Hotmail.

[Skip Montanaro]
> When I try to add a new account, the only options I have are POP3 and
> IMAP. It appears I have Outlook 2000 SP-3.  Maybe I need an upgrade.

You need an entirely new version of Outlook.  The only way to get at Hotmail
from OL2000 is described here:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;234704

That's plain silly -- it just arranges to open a web browser inside Outlook,
and then you use Hotmail's regular web UI from within the embedded browser.
There's no non-trivial integration with Outlook this way.

Outlook 2002 added a new gimmick for Hotmail:

 http://help.msn.com/!data/en_us/data/Hotmailv6.its51/$content$/Outlook.htm

I don't have OL2002, so that's all I know about it.