[Spambayes] Spambayes causing Outlook 2000 to crash on start-up

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Fri Dec 5 15:46:26 EST 2003

[Eugene Young]
> HELP!
>
> When I start Outlook I get this message and of course when OK is
> clicked - end of story. See below for text of message.

> WMS Idle: OUTLOOK:EXE - Application Error
>
> The instruction at "0x62033db4" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The
> memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate program.

That's a bad one.  Welcome to Outlook <wink>.

> The system is running Windows 2000/Office 2000. IBM T40.
>
> I uninstalled Spambayes and accessed Outlook using "Outlook /save" but
> Outlook is very unstable and crashes with the same error message if
> I try to access any links inside my emails.

I assume you meant to type /safe, not /save.  If you actually did type
/save, try typing /safe instead.

If you start Outlook with /safe, then SpamBayes isn't even told that Outlook
started -- SpamBayes is entirely out of the equation then.

Then you're left trying to diagnose a broken Outlook installation.  This
isn't the right mailing list for that.  The first three things to try:

1) Run scanpst.exe (if you don't know about that, use Google to find out
   about it).

2) If the problem persists, use

       Help -> Detect and Repair ...

   to try to repair program corruption.

3) If the problem persists, use Office Update (on Microsoft's site)
   to make sure you have all the released bugfixes.

It's unlikely that SpamBayes was the cause of your problem.  Since you said
Outlook crashes when you try to "access links", while I'm not sure what that
means, it suggests that you may have corrupted browser components too (or
instead).

Hmm.  When's the last time you scanned your machine for viruses?