[Spambayes] POP3 Server Performance Issue Win2K SP4

Kenny Pitt kennypitt at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 8 12:07:43 EST 2003

W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
> I'm running the POP3 server 1.0a5 (I thought I had upgraded to 1.0a7
> but the console reports 1.0a5)...
>
> The issue is that whenever my mail client connects to the POP3 proxy,
> the Python process sucks up all the system resources to the point that
> the system essentially stops responding for about a minute...
>
> I suspect the issue is related to the size of my spam database--I've
> been running SB since September 2003 had have collected over 25,000
> spams (my email address has been unchanged for about 7 years and is in
> lots of public web pages and mail archives so I'm just a spam magnet).
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for how I might tune the server or
> databse to avoid this level of resource hogging?

If your training database is very large then it could have an impact on
processor utilization.  Just how big is your training database?

It usually isn't necessary to train on every message you receive, and if
you've received 25,000 spams in about 3 months then I suspect your
training is heavily over-balanced toward spam anyway.  I would suggest
retraining on a much smaller set of messages (50-100 of each is probably
more than sufficient).  After that, be more selective about which
messages you actually train on.  If most of your messages classify
correctly then you shouldn't need to train much at all.

--
Kenny Pitt