[Spambayes] "Un-classifying" a message

Seth Goodman nobody at spamcop.net
Mon Dec 8 16:27:02 EST 2003

Reposted with corrections:

[Tim Peters]
> You've accomplished two things then:  (1) removed the training that said
> this msg was spam; and, (2) added training that this msg is ham.

OK, but how about untraining a message that doesn't belong in either
database but was trained on by mistake?  If you do this, currently you are
stuck.  This would suggest an "Untrain message" button.  In this case
(sounds like a lot of work, but possibly worth it), the toolbar would be
context sensitive to the message that is selected, not the folder.  This
obviously gets tougher for multiple messages selected, but you would then
display only buttons that are applicable to all selected messages.  For the
selected message(s), look to see if it is in either database.  Here is a
summary of what the two buttons would be depending on the message's training
status:

  message is        first button           second button         third
button
---------------   -----------------   ------------------------   -----------
-
trained as spam   Recover from Spam   Remove from Training Set        -
trained as ham    Delete as Spam      Remove from Training Set        -
not trained       Delete as Spam      Train as Good (presently   Don't Train
                                          "Recover from Spam")

The third button is displayed for untrained messages and is needed in the
Unsure folder.  This would move the message to the Inbox but *not* train it
as ham.

Or, if you change the button names to what Kenny uses in his setup,

[Kenny Pitt]
> Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear on that statement.  I meant I've changed
> the names of the *buttons* to "Spam" and "Not Spam" instead of "Delete
> as Spam" and "Recover from Spam".  I run from source so I am free to
> change them to whatever I want, and I was merely presenting another
> possibility for the names.

then the button names are shorter and less confusing.  The summary would be:

  message is      first button   second button   third button
trained as spam     Not Spam       Can't Tell         -
trained as ham      Spam           Can't Tell         -
not trained         Spam           Not Spam       Can't Tell

--
Seth Goodman

  Humans:   off-list replies to sethg [at] GoodmanAssociates [dot] com

  Spambots: disregard the above