[Spambayes] "Un-classifying" a message

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Mon Dec 8 16:34:45 EST 2003

[Seth Goodman]
> OK, but how about untraining a message that doesn't belong in either
> database but was trained on by mistake?  If you do this, currently
> you are stuck.

Speak for yourself <wink>.  I keep all my training ham and spam in a
distinct .pst file dedicated to holding training data, and I retrain from
that.  There's no mistake I can't recover from easily that way.  I've also
disabled all the "automatically train as this-or-that when it's moved from
here-to-there" options.  Too much magic makes operation incomprehensible in
the end.  So do too many UI buttons.

> This would suggest an "Untrain message" button.  In this case (sounds
> like a lot of work, but possibly worth it), the toolbar would be context
> sensitive to the message that is selected, not the folder.  This
> obviously gets tougher for multiple messages selected, but you would
> then display only buttons that are applicable to all selected messages.

I expect this is too complex for most users to understand, and that buttons
that stay in the same place but change meaning based on what you've selected
would cause more training errors than they help solve.

A simpler solution (one I wouldn't use, but ...) would probably be to add a
single new checkbox option analogous to the existing "train on move"
Spam folder.