[Spambayes] How low can you go?

Seth Goodman nobody at spamcop.net
Tue Dec 9 22:28:23 EST 2003

[Skip Montanaro]
> At the moment I have trained on 14 spams and 20 hams and am quite pleased
> with how its performing so far.  I've received mail for a half dozen or so
> different mailing lists, and it's catching spams left and right.  I
> anticipate a slew of unsures overnight as I get new kinds of
> email (both ham
> and spam), but I will be damned selective about what I add to my database.

OK, I'll bite.  How did you select those 14 spams and 20 hams?  Just please
don't say they're random.  Even if you have to lie.  Perhaps you selected
them by incrementally training on a corpus of 100 each?

What are your current thresholds?  I would expect a lot of unsures, which
doesn't bother me a bit, but what are you seeing (so far) for false
positives and false negatives?

Damned impressive, if you ask me.

--
Seth Goodman

  Humans:   off-list replies to sethg [at] GoodmanAssociates [dot] com

  Spambots: disregard the above