[Spambayes] Watch out for digests...

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Dec 10 12:02:39 EST 2003

I had what looked like an obvious ham message score unsure this morning.
Without thinking too much about it, I trained on it as ham.  Big mistake.
Stuff started getting wacky real fast.  The message was a reply to a digest
from a mailing list where the guy did this:

    blah blah blah blah
    ... a couple more lines ...
    in conclusion, blah blah blah

    > here's
    > ... dozens of lines ...
    > the
    > ... dozens of lines ...
    > entire
    > ... dozens of lines ...
    > friggin'
    > ... dozens of lines ...
    > digest

Guess what?  One of the messages in the digest was an obvious spam.  I
zapped the entire message from my ham database, retrained on the remaining
hams and spams and all was right with the world once again.

SpamBayes did precisely what I had trained it to do, and I punished it for
that.  I'm sorry, SpamBayes...  Good dog, SpamBayes...

Skip