[Spambayes] RE: Yahoo's "domain keys" and spam

Seth Goodman nobody at spamcop.net
Fri Dec 12 14:06:51 EST 2003

> [Robert Coe]
> Where is it written that Spambayes would "add a token verifying
> the presence of a domain key entry in the header"? Doing so would
> seem to be self-defeating if credible forgeries of domain keys
> become widespread and only marginally helpful otherwise (since
> the "I know it when I see it" model of spam detection works very
> well for humans and fairly well for Bayesian filters without this
> additional complication).

My understanding of how SpamBayes deals with headers is that only headers
that are specifically permitted in the .ini file are tokenized.  Unless this
one was added to the list, it would not be tokenized.  At least that's how
the Outlook plug-in version appears to work.

> [Robert Coe]
>
> For that matter, where is it written that the use of domain keys
> will become widespread? (But I guess that's a topic for another
> discussion.)

Good point.  Even if Yahoo alone uses it, IMHO, SpamBayes should deal with
it gracefully.  If I understand the header restrictions, though, it already
does.

--
Seth Goodman

  Humans:   off-list replies to sethg [at] GoodmanAssociates [dot] com

  Spambots: disregard the above