[Spambayes] How low can you go?

Aaron aarontay at mochamail.com
Mon Dec 15 08:34:30 EST 2003

On 13 Dec 2003 at 18:22, Tim Peters wrote:

> [Gerrit Holl]
> > My father is using non-bayesian spamassasin, and it seems the
> > spamassasin manpage warns that without 'hundreds of messages'
> > bayesian spamfiltering is unusable. This is obviously incorrect for
> > Spambayes. Spambayes comes with no knowledge. Does it have a more
> > intelligent algorithm? Or is the warning in the spamassasin manpage
> > incorrect?
>
> I'm afraid there are several research projects hiding in there, so
> we'll probably never know.

Probably because Spamassassin uses bayesian approach only as a supplementary tool to
detect spam, they don't need to use bayesian filtering straight off the bat, as pure bayesian
approaches do, hence the warning. ( for the first hundred mails or so, the built in rulebase is
probably more accruate than many pure bayesian approaches so they don't need it)

I doubt if it's that different from the other bayesian filters though, but who knows.

-- Want to learn how to use 150+ free Chess programs to run
with Winboard? Visit http://www.aarontay.per.sg/Winboard/index.html