[Spambayes] More "spam of the future" lately?

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Tue Dec 16 17:57:42 EST 2003

[Matthew Dixon Cowles]
>>> I've found that Richard Jowsey's idea of retrieving the URLs in
>>> messages that score in the unsure range and scoring the pages
>>> received as a sort of synthesized message helps a good bit.

[Tim Peeter]
>> There aren't enough spambayes users for me to worry about that; then
>> cut by the number who would actually enable this option, and multiply
>> by their unsure rate.  It wouldn't amount to much in the end.

[Kenny Pitt]
> My biggest concern here would be verifying my e-mail address to all
> the spammers.  By retrieving the content of a link in order to
> classify it, you have performed the same operation as clicking on it
> and have thus triggered any "web bug" attached to that link in the
> form of an identifying query parameter.

That's part of what I mean by "cut by the number who would actually enable
this option".  I would, but I wouldn't *recommend* that most should (and it
should certainly be off by default).  Another class of user I have in mind
is those on slow pay-by-the-minute dialup accounts, where fetching mounds of
web trash is immediately expensive, and in more than one way (time,
bandwidth and money).

I'm not worried about validating my owh email address to spammers -- seems
to me it's been validated to them ten thousand times over already <wink>.