[Spambayes] More "spam of the future" lately?

Matthew Dixon Cowles matt at mondoinfo.com
Tue Dec 16 18:53:12 EST 2003

[spidering URLs in unsure messages]

> My biggest concern here would be verifying my e-mail address to all
> the spammers.  By retrieving the content of a link in order to
> classify it, you have performed the same operation as clicking on
> it and have thus triggered any "web bug" attached to that link in
> the form of an identifying query parameter.

The code I use strips off a question-mark and the CGI parameters that
follow it and an at-sign and the username and password fields that
precede it in an effort to avoid send identifying data. I suspect
that that means that it sometimes doesn't get any data back but I'm
willing to live with that. But, as Tim says, it may not be important.

Regards,
Matt