[Spambayes] Exceptionally well-done identity-theft spam

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Tue Dec 30 18:21:34 EST 2003

[Tony Meyer]
> Why is it that there is both urllib and urllib2?

urllib is, of course, the older one, from a simpler time when people used
URLs just to fetch simple things off the web.  urllib2 is much fancier, more
of a framework for building URL-related components.  If urllib2 happens to
actually open an ordinary URL out of the box, that's probably a design
oversight, indicating a severe lack of generality and plugability <0.9
wink>.

> I've always tended to use urllib2 because it seemed to have better
> proxy support, but should I use (in the experimental url 'slurping',
> for example) urllib instead?  (Since it does this better, for example).

Who knows?  If urllib can't handle something, you're probably stuck; if
urllib2 can't handle something, you can probably plug in replacements for,
or subclasses of, various pieces, and get it to work before you die.