[Spambayes] imap4 filter

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Wed Dec 31 17:31:42 EST 2003

> I "searched" through the list of folders and found sever that
> had "&" in the name.

Yes, that would be the cause.  This'll be fixed for the next version.

> I didnt find any line with "available_folders"; I did find a
> line with "all_folders" which was 262 after the addition of the
> "import cgi" line.

That sounds about right.  That function must have changed a bit since 1.0a7.
A new release (source and binary) is due out pretty soon, so you'll be able
to swap to that.  See below, however.

> After entering the 'training' configuration folders manually
> as instructed,
> I ran "python scripts\sb_imapfilter.py -t" in order to
> 'train' the filter.
> After about 40 minutes training the program bombed with the following
> messages:
[...]
>   File "c:\python23\lib\socket.py", line 301, in read
>     data = self._sock.recv(recv_size)
> MemoryError

Hmm.  How much training was this?  40 minutes sounds like a lot!  Note that
you can get really good results with only small amounts of training data.
Maybe imapfilter isn't immediately releasing everything that it could
(although I can't see anything apparent), or maybe the garbage collection
just wasn't keeping up.  Or maybe there's a *really* massive message that it
choked on?  (since it died reading from the socket).

If you run it again, it shouldn't try and train any of those messages again
- does it die immediately on the same message?  (If so, then it's likely to
be the latter).