[Spambayes] spampot and black holes

Thu Feb 13 10:31:14 EST 2003

2/13/2003 10:27:36 AM, Neale Pickett <neale at woozle.org> wrote:

>Tim Stone - Four Stones Expressions <tim at fourstonesExpressions.com> writes:
>
>> I'm wondering if it might not be a reasonable idea to run some very easy to
>> find spampots, which (of course) don't actually relay the spam.  Might make
>> life sucky (at least temporarily) for some spammer somewhere...  We could
even
>> make it so it's particularly slow in response time, so their spam activity
>> takes forever.  We could even return an smtp error response at random that
>> says something like "We're out here, and we will stop you."  <wink>
>
>Well, spampot has been fun to run, but I can't say that it's really
>catching a lot of spam.  I mean, it is getting a lot, but in droves of
>like 20,000 copies of just one message.  Matt Sargeant's hunch appears
>to have been correct so far.
>
>Maybe if someone had the bandwidth to host one on a really fast link,
>they'd get different results.  I don't know what these open-relay probes
>are probing for, exactly.  They may do bandwidth testing and round-trip
>time.

I've got some decent bandwidth, but I don't normally keep a linux box up all
the time.  Maybe I'll have to change that.  I tried to mod spampot to run on
wind'ohs, but keep getting a socket error 10049, can't assign address.
Completely cryptic, no info on what causes it anywhere... typical winduhz.  -
TimS