[Spambayes] Any prospect of spambayes working with qmail?

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Thu Feb 13 16:01:15 EST 2003

    Nick> I'm setting up a mail domain for a non-profit organisation, which
    Nick> advertises a whole host of email addresses for contact points
    Nick> through the web and email: london at domain, mexico at domain and so
    Nick> on. None of these are pop3 clients - they all forward on to people
    Nick> who have agreed to receive contacts from people interested in the
    Nick> issue on which this particular organisation campaigns. Currently,
    Nick> they are receiving three or fourmore more spams for each genuine
    Nick> contact. This is clearly unacceptable, and I don't particularly
    Nick> want to be forwarding them this rubbish, nor saying that it's
    Nick> their responsibility to weed it out. I know they haven't asked for
    Nick> it, so I want to drop it on my server before the mail gets
    Nick> forwarded.

It seems you have a more homogeneous user population than your typical ISP.
You can probably get away with something like this:

    1. Gather a representative (for that group) set of ham and spam.

    2. Train on the above and insinuate spambayes into your qmail front-end.

    3. Somewhere between qmail and your users (maybe just another qmail
       filter downstream from the spambayes filter), extract messages marked
       as spam (and possibly unsure), dropping them into one or two
       mailboxes so you can scan the spam (and push false positives along to
       their rightful recipients) and unsures (use them to refine the
       training, again pushing any ham along).

    4. Ask your users to forward to you (with full headers) any spam they
       receive which leaks through.  Use that for further training.

I do something similar on a smaller scale on my mail server.  My wife's
online interests are essentially a proper subset of mine, so I use the same
training set for both of us.  I have her procmail setup direct
marked-as-spam messages to me.  She gets everything else.  I've heard no
complaints from her so far.  In fact, she doesn't even know I have things
set up this way. ;-) She just gets a lot less spam.

Skip