[Spambayes] Outlook Plugin Read/unread issues

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Tue Feb 18 09:34:22 EST 2003

[Mark]
> There is a bug/feature request at source-forge on this -
> clarification of
> exactly what we want would be good :)

[David]
> There are two situations: spam and possible spam.
>
> When spammie identifies spam and puts it into the spam
> folder, it's status
> is unread - this is good. It marks spam that one might want to review.
>
> In the case of possible spam (my spam maybe folder), two
> courses of action are possible: delete as spam or recover
> as spam. I look at the possible spam
> to choose which button to hit and the msg's status will be
> read because I looked at it.

This is pretty similiar to the bug/feature request (which I made), except that I would also like it if there was an option to not just maintain unread status, but change messages to 'read' iff the delete as spam button is used (from anywhere) - for those who read via the preview pane without marking as read after a time interval.

I think there are two issues here:
1.  The feature request above, which no-one has objected to (as an option, not a default behaviour), as long as mail filtered to the spam folder is not marked as read.
2.  The bug that some mail is marked as unread (from read) when it is scored/filtered/moved (note that I haven't seen this behaviour on movement like David has).

[Mark]
> Note that spambayes does not (directly) touch the "unread" status of a
> message.  I say "directly", as there may be some side-effect that we don't
> know about, but as far as I know, the read/unread status of the message is
> purely up to outlook.

Does Outlook maybe reset the unread flag whenever the save() function is called?  (except when the unread flag has been modified?)  Are these things documented somewhere?