[Spambayes] Use of email package

Wed Feb 19 09:46:39 EST 2003

It appears from the bug report that Jacques has submitted, and from other
errors I've seen in the pop3proxy lately, that the use of the email package is
causing us some occasional trouble.  The email package makes assumptions about
the well-formedness of mail, and throws exceptions if those assumptions do not
appear to apply to the mail being dealt with.  I feel that this represents a
fairly serious weakness in our solution, because spammers can exploit those
assumptions to break the filter, thus discrediting it and making it harder for
users to see their mail, and at the same time getting their spam through when
users really do see their mail.

We've got to either seriously harden our code so it knows what to do when the
email package raises an exception, or consider not using the email package.  I
think I'll be reworking pop3proxy so that it no longer uses the email package
for anything.  The Corpus stuff currently has most (all?) the function that is
needed by pop3proxy anyway.

c'est moi - TimS
http://www.fourstonesExpressions.com
http://wecanstopspam.org