[Spambayes] training

Wed Feb 19 17:02:05 EST 2003

2/19/2003 4:50:19 PM, "Meyer, Tony" <T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz> wrote:

>(The problem with being on the nicer side of the world is that most of the
mail arrives when you are asleep.  Apologies for the length of the reply).

>[TimS]
>> The problem here is that some mailers pretty much lose most
>> of the headers when you do a forward operation...
>Which would be when they would have to place the id in the body - mailers
might do strange things to the body when forwarding, but surely none of them
actually remove content.

>It would be nice if the smtpproxy could automagically change to including the
id in the body if you started forwarding it messages without ids.  (Well, not
nice for those of us who like control, but for the 'average-user'.

We really should make every effort to make the non-OL2K side of spambayes
mailer agnostic.  There's just too many of 'em... a testing matrix might be
interesting, but I don't believe we should *ever* put mailer specific code in
the core stuff.  Specific mailer plugins would be cool, but most mailers have
no such plugin architecture.

>[TimS]
>> Placing
>> something like a url in the body of
>> a message is another possibility that's been raised.  It's
>> somewhat dangerous, particularly in the case of multipart
>> messages, and for html messages may not
>> be visible at all.
>I think the spoofing possibilties of a URL (as back in the November posts)
removes it as a possibility, as nice as it would be.  A non-clickable message
id, though, shouldn't be spoofable (a spammer shouldn't be able to generate
valid ids).

Agreed.

>[Neale]
>> Also, consider the company that gets
>> gigabytes of email every day.  How long do they keep a
>> message in their pool for future training?
>This is a problem with the existing pop3proxy as well, of course.  Isn't
spambayes still aimed at individuals, not organisations?

>[Neale]
>> And anyway, forwarding a message to a special address is
>> still too much work.
>If this is the agreed conclusion, then I don't really see any options other
than:
>(a) Don't get the user to train (they would have to start with some sort of
pretrained database).  This does really kill all the power of spambayes, even
if they could update their pretrained databases (that someone else trains for
them).
>OR
>(b) Integration into lots of clients, al la the Outlook plugin.

I'm a bit stumped here, too... still thinkin hard, maybe some kind of fuzzy
matching?  <wink>  Let's get creative, think outside the box, yadda yadda... -
TimS

>[TimS]
>> Absolutely.  As things are right now, it's not useable by anyone but
>> people like us, which as dismaying as that may be, is not the norm.
>Well, I would say that the Outlook plugin *is* usable by anyone, except that
you have to install Python first, and removing the plugin is not simple.
Well, I guess some sort of automated training would be good too (Mark is
working on this, I believe).

>Anyway, since I've got the time, I'll go ahead and make the patches to get
the smtpproxy to work, and then we can evaluate it.  If it gets thrown away,
oh well never mind :)  It could at least make things easier for those that are
currently using it, while we all build integrations into everyone else's
favourite mail client.

Tony, don't spend a whole lot of time making the smtpproxy work in a
production manner.  It'll be a good research tool, but it can't share database
with the pop3proxy, and so training will be moot.  It will need to be
integrated with the pop3proxy, a non-trivial task as pop3proxy uses asyncore
module, Dibbler, and a bunch of other stuff that Richie might be the only
person on the planet that understands right now... I'm workin on getting my
head around it, but I'm not there yet. - TimS