OSAF collaboration (was Re: [Spambayes] training)

Kaitlin Duck Sherwood ducky at webfoot.com
Fri Feb 21 12:11:41 EST 2003

At 9:07 PM +0100 2/19/03, Francois Granger wrote:
>  Another step would be to get close contacts with
> http://www.osafoundation.org/ throught Kevin Altis eventually
> because they will be happy to have this technology in their first
> shipping release, and integration will be a dream for them.

Francois: spambayes has had my attention for some time, and OSAF just
hired me to work on both
+ the interaction design of email
and
+ community-liaison stuff.
(I formally start on Monday.)

Thus I clearly will be a good person to talk to, and I personally
think it would be marvellous to have a spambayes plug-in for Chandler.

At 6:12 PM -0500 2/19/03, Tim Peters wrote:
>  I'm halfway toward concluding that no mail client has a usable plugin
>  architecture.  The good news is that they will, just as soon as they're all
rewritten in Python <wink>.

Whether we'd make spambayes part of the Chandler distro or just
provide good hooks might end up being a policy issue out of my hands,
but I *do* want to make sure we provide a good plug-in API.  We have
a chance to do it right (and we're already using Python <wink>).

However, I'm going to be pretty busy getting up to speed for *at
least* the first two weeks; OSAF isn't going to be ready to release
any source code for a while.  So hit the snooze button for right now
and I'll ping y'all again when we are in a position to be able to
process input usefully.

No reply needed.

P.S., if you were at the MIT conference, I'm the woman in the purple
beret who asked lots of questions.

--
Kaitlin Duck Sherwood
Author of the _Overcome Email Overload_ series, http://www.EmailOverload.com