[Spambayes] SMTPProxy [Was Training]

Terrel Shumway tshumway at jdiworks.net
Mon Feb 24 18:03:09 EST 2003

On Monday 24 February 2003 17:06, Mark Hammond wrote:
> > [asyncore vs threads]

> I guess it gets down to crystal ball gazing.  If we see pop3proxy running
> for many users, then threads are a poor choice.  If it will always remain a
> "personal" server running on the localhost, you may find threads work just
> fine while leaving the code that bit more maintainable in the longer term.

Having worked with the async model a lot recently, I don't think that it is
that difficult to code.  Breaking your code up into bite sized pieces also
makes it easier to test (each piece).

RE: crystal ball gazing. I am actively working now to make spambayes
applicable in a pop-toaster environment with at least 1000 users per server.
No crystal ball necessary. (I am also highly motivated, because if it doesn't
work, I need to start looking for a real job soon. And I *don't* want to do
that.)

IMAP is another reason to go async.  The protocol seems designed for the
reactor pattern: pipelining, untagged server notifications etc. Also,
"native" support for folders in IMAP makes a lot of sense for spambayes, both
on the client side and on the server side.

-- Terrel