[Spambayes] Re: [Python-Dev] Re: some preliminary timings

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Wed Feb 26 00:21:18 EST 2003

[Tim Stone]
> I'm beginning to definitely be of the opinion that our own parser is
> preferable.  Our parsing requirements are VERY light,

To the contrary, I can't think of a parsing ability of the Python email pkg
that spambayes *doesn't* use, from making sense of arbitrarily nested MIME
structure, to identifying the charsets in use.  I suspect you're just
thinking of body parsing, where we do very little -- but the email pkg does
very little there too (beyond magically identifying the text portions for
us, and magically decoding base64 and quoted-printable sections).

> and the heavier the parser, the more easily spammers can do something
> to break it.

They're not having much success so far <wink>.