[Spambayes] Storing Options [was Outlook feature request]

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Thu Feb 27 11:21:37 EST 2003

[Tony]
> >* It certainly would be nice if all the non-core stuff (like
> [pop3proxy]) was
> not in the main options, so that those systems that didn't
> use it didn't have
> to load it.
[TimS]
> I see no use for a pickle here.  Why keep an ini file and a
> pickle in sync?
> Just use the ini file as the persistence.  ConfigParser does
> this now anyway.
I meant that it would be nice to separate the core spambayes options from the implementation specific (hammie, pop3proxy, ui, Outlook) ones.  These could be kept in a separate ini file (or pickle, whichever you like).  But still -1 for the reasons outlined.

> Breaking existing systems isn't bad if we fix them... <wink>
:)  If it comes to it, I must remember you are the one to commit the changes so that people scream at you when the bit we missed breaks ;)

[New update ini function]
> This sounds good to me.  I wonder if the Options file is
> really what we need to carry forward, though.
> A simple ini file is really more useful and
> maintainable (imo), and the options module could easily be
> modified to support the same syntax that it supports now,
> but read from an ini file.  The syntax
> is the only value that it adds now anyway, and that's what should be
> preserved.

Well, the options module is pretty much a module with an embedded ini file, isn't it?  I presume that back when things started there was a reason to have all the defaults in a module rather than provide a default ini (but I can't be bothered looking through the list history).  Why do you think that an ini would be more maintainable?