[Spambayes] porting database

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Feb 26 16:29:28 EST 2003

    Mark> As I understand things, both pickles and bsddbs are portable
    Mark> across platforms.  Have you tried simply copying the database from
    Mark> Outlook to wherever the other system is expecting it?

Pickles, yes, bsddbs, not necessarily:

    % file hammie.db
    hammie.db: Berkeley DB (Hash, version 7, big-endian)

I don't know if the Berkeley DB code can automatically handle differences in
endianness, but the "big-endian" bit gives me pause.  Also, note that the
Berkeley DB library versions need to be close enough on the two machines
that they read and write files of the same version number.

Skip